Friday, February 16, 2018

Trash to Treasure

You know they say....Someone else's trash is your treasure!! Ha!
Well....I like to make treasure out of stuff or old junk. I hate to throw things away anyways cuz I know that as soon as I do, then I'm going to need it, right? Plus I feel like I am doing my share to keep the landfills clean.
It drives me crazy to drive by a house and see all this "GOOD" stuff out for the trash. If I'm by myself and nobody's looking then I will swing by and grab something cool lol
My son and I once saw a park bench sitting out. We went and snagged it and I taught him how to refinish it and he painted the metal arms and legs and someone bought it from him for 15.00!! He was only about 10 yrs old so to him that was a million $$.

I thought that I would show you some of my recycled things that I made for myself and use them in my house. First, my bracelet holder. I LOVE, LOVE jewelry, rings, bracelets, necklaces...a girl cant have enough jewelry!! I have a zillion of these vases so I invented this girl. She was one of my first projects many years ago.

For some of my necklaces, I used a picture frame, added wood and screwed in cup hooks to hang ny necklaces for my room. 
Another fun project is a coke hat!! I made a Pepsi one which is what I drink but I gave it away and haven't made me a new one yet!!
Oh these are really cool. Birthday Cake Postcards. It is made with 2 thick sponges. I used the spackle that you fill cracks with, colored it and put it on the sponges for frosting and painted the sponge a cake color. The back side has a cardstock paper on it sealed to it with the spackle. And this piece of cake is completely mailable. You write it just like you do a postcard. You just cant get to wordy!! lol
This was my experimental one and I got messy with the spackle so I keep it for my example. People love getting cake in the mail!!!
Simple...painted plate with our wedding picture. You know we all had those hard days when there isn't much money way back when! He was laid off 7 times in one year so no, no money for a frame, so Whola!!! And we still have it today to remind us of those days!!
This I made for my Grand daughter, she loves Zebra print. I had some old computer screens and hated to throw them away. Since I work at Micheals, they had these magnetic sheets of paper which was perfect. Glued them on and instant a Magnet station and it looked good on her desk.
This is my latest project. I did it over the summer. I had those big block knife holders and a ton of cookbooks which my husband says I never use lol. Anyways I saw this on Pinterest and it was Perfect. Uses my books and holds my knives!! They are so easy to pull in and out and I have my kitchen scissors there which I use ALL the time!!
Scissors are great for cutting pizza too!!!

So....hopefully you will look around and see what you can do with your stuff. If you have any "GOOD" stuff let me know LOL

3 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    I love to recycle creatively also - that knife book is a BRILLIANT idea and I'm going to pinch it! I use an old net curtain for my earrings and necklaces, thus it becomes an art istallation as well as a keeping them easy-access.
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so clever! I especially love the knife holder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a crafty one!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete